CHIHENE NDE NATION OF NEW MEXICO
News and Information for Chihene Nde Nation of New Mexico
TRIBAL AND OCRS NEWS
The Tribal Governance Council is currently compiling documents and preparing final drafts to be submitted with BIA Application packets. Tribal Treasurer, Nancy Lopez has been assigned to conduct all corresponding 20th century documentations and family histories and stories. For those members that are contributing to this portion of this section, please contact Nancy Lopez at (602) 418-7544. She will be making the necessary contact to complete this process.
Notice: The Memorial Day Weekend Retreat at the Cochise Stronghold was postponed due to the US Forest Service elevating the Fire Warning Level to a Level II and likely to elevate to Level I due to very dry weather conditions. The dates are changed to August 10-12, 2018.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
January 1st- New Years
January 12th- OCRS/Tribal Meeting- Families submit land patents for litigation!
February 1st- Treaty and Native Day- Santa Fe, NM- Capitol Rotunda
In order to continue these events, we humbly request assistance from the membership. We need volunteers to help out in several areas so that not all of the burden and responsibility lies on just a few folks. We need folks to arrive early to help set of camp, help with setting up teepees, those to lend pickup truck and/or pick up portable toilets, haul trailers of supplies, water runs, and recreational furniture, like benches, portable arbors and canopies, etc. We also need folks to help out with cooking and to bring food and supplies for the common kitchen. All of this is a coordinated effort. We will be asking family representative for coordinating with their respective family members to help out during the next annual gathering.
1. No photographs, video taping or recording devises!
2. No Alcohol or controlled substance on ceremonial property!
3. Our traditions and customs are to stay through the entire Ceremony. Like church, we don't leave mass half way. We are praying for all of us and our preservation efforts. All of our prayers together make a difference.
4. Although we desire for folks to have a joyous and memorable time, we also need to teach those that are not acclimated to the culture that we don't applaud during ceremonies and each ceremony is considered sacred. These events are not intended to be entertainment in the sense of mere performance. These ceremonies are sacred and we are trying to maintain them for future generations as our ancestors would desire us to continue.
5. Please don't take offense to elders correcting folks and others on the proper protocol and customs. Our intentions are to teach everyone how to properly observe our ways and traditions.
6. The elections of tribal officers and council results will appear on the Governance Section of this site.
Click on Tribal Icon
to see current
2017 Memorial Day Weekend Cochise Stronghold
10th Annual Gathering- Manzano, NM- June 22-24, 2018